CISSA shall perform the following functions:
- Strategic intelligence analysis on all threats to peace and security on the continent;
- Collection/acquisition, processing, analysis and transmission of intelligence through the Secretariat;
- Facilitate capacity building interventions;
- Harmonize approaches to common security threats;
- Coordinate strategies to provide advice on appropriate course of action on matters within its mandate;
- Promote the development of an African endogenous intelligence and security doctrine;
- Any other function as may be assigned by the CISSA Conference.